Follow the Monarchs!
The Follow the Monarchs! contest is being held by the Espace pour la vie department of the Ville de Montréal, located at 4101 Sherbrooke Est, Montréal, H1X 2B2, from February 22 to August 21, 2019.
1. To be eligible to enter this contest, you must be:
- at least 18 years old
- a resident of the province of Quebec
No purchase required. To enter the contest:
Complete the entry form on the Espace pour la vie website (monarchs-espacepourlavie.ca) by 11:59 p.m. on August 21, 2019, and correctly answer the following question: What is the monarch butterfly’s host plant?
Upon completing the entry form and correctly answering this question, you will earn one token.
Each token corresponds to one contest entry.
Contest entrants may submit only one entry form. Repeat entries will be automatically eliminated. Entries submitted to the website after 11:59 p.m. on August 21, 2019 will not be accepted.
2. Awarding of prizes
Winners’ names will be drawn from the contest tokens.
To earn more tokens, contest entrants may take steps to help monarch butterflies, as listed below, and indicate these actions on their entry form. Each step earns an additional token. To earn these additional tokens, entrants must have completed the entry form and correctly answered the question.
- I signed the Suzuki Foundation Monarch Manifesto (at any time)
- I started some milkweed seeds (February to April)
- I created a Monarch Oasis in my garden or my lane (May, June)
- I kept my garden monarch friendly by not using any pesticides (May to August)
- I participated in Mission Monarch and recorded my observations on the mission-monarque.org website (July, August)
- I shared the Follow the Monarchs! contest with 3 friends (at any time)
- I shared the contest on social media with the #FollowTheMonarchs hashtag (at any time)
- I watched a monarch video with my family or friends (at any time)
- I downloaded a monarch colouring sheet for some family fun (at any time)
- I added a native plant to my flower or vegetable garden (May to August)
The odds of winning depend on the number of tokens received.
3. Detailed description of prizes
The prizes must be accepted as awarded and may not be exchanged for cash.
a) One grand prize: a six-day trip for four people to visit a monarch wintering site in Mexico, in winter 2020, along with an expert from the Insectarium. The prize includes:
- Four return flights from the Montréal–Trudeau airport to Mexico City, economy class, with Aeromexico ($4,000)
- Accommodation for four people (quadruple room) in a three-star hotel ($1,600)
- Outing to a monarch sanctuary in Michoacán, along with an expert from the Insectarium ($1,000)
- Return transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the sanctuary, for four people ($400)
- $00 daily spending money ($1,800)
Grand prize value: $8,800
The prize includes only what is specifically described above, and no other payments will be made. The winner and accompanying guests must cover all the following expenses (non-inclusive list):
- return transportation from their home(s) to the Montréal–Trudeau airport
- taxes, airport fees, customs fees, entry fees, tourist cards and surcharges
- travel insurance (cancellation, illness, etc.)
- all personal expenses
- The trip must be made between February 1 and March 15, 2020.
- The winner and accompanying guests must each obtain, at their expense, a passport valid for the length of the trip and all other travel documents required.
- The prize is not transferable. No substitution is allowed; the winner may not exchange the trip for its equivalent cash value.
- If the winner is not available to make the trip during the above period, the prize will be cancelled with no compensation, and a new winner may be drawn from all the other eligible contest entrants. The winner must confirm his or her availability to make the trip, in writing, no later than December 1, 2019.
b) Five second prizes:
One family pass for the Jardin botanique, Biodôme and Planétarium Rio Tinto Alcan institutions of Espace pour la vie.
Value of each second prize: $100
- Conditions applying to Espace pour la vie family passes:
- A “family” consists of 2 adults and up to 3 children between the ages of 5 and 17.
- The prize must be used by December 31, 2019.
Winners must redeem their family passes at each institution’s ticket counter.
Total value of all prizes: $9,300
4. Location, date and time of the draw for the winning entries
The winners will be chosen at 2 p.m. on August 25, 2019 at the Montréal Insectarium, at 4581 Sherbrooke Est, Montréal, Quebec, H1X 2B2, by an Espace pour la vie representative. The family passes will be mailed to winners, and the airline tickets will be presented in person to the winner 2 weeks prior to departure.
5. Notification of winners
Espace pour la vie will notify the winners by email or telephone. The winners’ names will be posted on the Espace pour la vie website.
6. Ineligibility for the contest
All salaried or contract employees of the Espace pour la Vie department of the Ville de Montréal and all persons living at the same address as these individuals are ineligible to enter this contest.
7. A dispute as to the organization or conduct of this promotional contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux so that it may be resolved. A dispute as to the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purposes of intervening in an attempt to settle the matter.
8. The contest organizers (Espace pour la vie) are not responsible for unreceived, illegible or incomplete entry forms. The winners, and any guests accompanying the grand prize winner, release the Espace pour la vie department of the Ville de Montréal from all liability for any damage or prejudice caused by the awarding or use of their prizes.
9. By entering the contest, the winners and any guests accompanying the grand prize winner, authorize, where necessary, the organizers to use their names, voices, places of residence, statements regarding the prize and/or photographs, without any compensation, for advertising relating to the contest. Contest entrants are those individuals whose names and identifying information appear on an entry form.
10. This contest is subject to all applicable federal and provincial legislation and municipal by-laws.
11. By entering this contest, entrants accept these rules and agree to respect them. They also agree to receive newsletters regarding this contest, in particular with more information on the steps they can take to earn more tokens. Contest entrants may unsubscribe from these newsletters and remain eligible for the contest.
12. The information requested is required to enter this contest, and will not be used for any other purpose. It will be retained by the Ville de Montréal until March 15, 2020 and will be accessible only to the contest organizers. This information will be handled in accordance with the Act respecting access to documents held by public bodies and the protection of personal information, subject to the provisions of section 9, above.