Orange, green, striped, speckled, small, big, long, flattened… have fun learning about the amazing Cucurbitaceae family when you enter our pumpkin-decorating contest.
Turn your pumpkin into a witch, a funny character, an animal …
Let your imagination run wild!
Bring your masterpiece to Multipurpose room 1 (behind the Horticultural information desk) at the Jardin botanique Reception Centre, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on October 5 to 11, or between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. on October 12 to 14.
The masterpieces will be on display in the Main Exhibition Greenhouse until November 1.
The winners will be announced at the award ceremony, at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, October 20.
Keeping your pumpkin in good shape
- Choose a firm pumpkin, with no blemishes, and make sure the stem is firmly attached.
- First wash your pumpkin under running water
- Store your pumpkin in a cool, dry and well-ventilated place, protected from frost.
Some decorating tips
- Use acrylic paint if you wish to paint your pumpkin.
- To engrave or carve designs into your pumpkin, use a knife for cutting leather. Never puncture your pumpkin.
- Use a glue gun and straight pins to attach decorations to your pumpkin.
After the exhibition is over, the pumpkins will be composted.
Entries will be judged according to the following criteria:
- ingenious use of inexpensive and recycled materials
- quality of the work
- suitability of the title
- quality of the work in light of the participant’s age
Please note that the judges must be able to see the pumpkin or squash used in the contest entry.
Entries in the “biggest pumpkin” category will be judged according to their weight when they arrive at the Main Exhibition Greenhouse. For this category, you must call 514 872-8798 before delivering your entry.