Phytotechnology is a field of expertise that uses plants to solve environmental problems.
Plant-based technologies have become alternative solutions to traditional engineering approaches because of their low capital investment, high success rate, minimal maintenance requirements, aesthetics and environmental benefits.
Phytotechnology includes any use of plants to decontaminate water, air or soil, control erosion and run-off, restore degraded sites, trap greenhouse gases or reduce heat and wind speed. Using phytotechnologies increases biodiversity and maximizes ecosystem services.
The different types of phyto technology
- Green roofs and rainwater management systems
- Plant-based wastewater and sludge management systems
- Vertical green noise-reduction structures
- Plant-based stabilization structures
- Air-soil phytoremediation technique
- Invasive plant control