Did you know that there are toxic plants all around you? Many species in the wild, as well as some ornamental plants and others used for food and medicinal purposes, can have adverse effects on human health, some minor and others quite serious. This garden presents a variety of potentially dangerous plants.
Accidental poisoning resulting from skin contact, inhaling pollen or eating certain species is common. The entire plant or only part of it may be toxic. The degree of toxicity also varies depending on the season and a plant’s stage of development. In addition, people react differently depending on their sensitivity and age.
It is always wise to be cautious. Learn to recognize the plants to which you are allergic and avoid eating or touching any plants you can’t identify. In case of accidental poisoning, try to identify the plant (part and amount ingested) and contact the Quebec Poison Control Centre, at 1 800 463-5060.