Remains of Mont-de-La-Salle
These remains of a farm building’s foundations, identified during archaeological digs in 2000, are from the late 19th-century estate of the Brothers of the Christian Schools. The estate, known as Mont-de-La-Salle, included a number of buildings, including the main one, erected from 1885 to 1887, a farm building and a chapel, along with a cemetery and gardens. The main building, which housed the Novitiate, probably stood where the Alpine Garden is today.
It was here at Mont-de-La-Salle that Conrad Kirouac spent the period from June 5, 1901 to March 11, 1903. He became Brother Marie-Victorin, founder of the Montréal Botanical Garden.
The property was sold in 1913 to the City of Maisonneuve (later absorbed by the City of Montréal), which planned to turn it into a park. The Brothers of the Christian Schools officially left the estate in 1917. The abandoned building burned down in 1925 and was later demolished.
In 1931, the City of Montréal set aside a portion of Maisonneuve Park for the Montréal Botanical Garden.
Quebec's floral emblem
It took 40 years for the bIue-flag iris (Iris versicolor), a plant native to our wetlands, to be officially recognized as Quebec's floral emblem. The Madonna lily (Lilium candidum) was the province's floral emblem until 1999.