Notice: We wish to inform you that only requests made in person at the horticultural information counter are processed. We invite you to consult our Green Pages, which contains a wealth of information, or to come and meet us at our counter at the Botanical Garden during our opening days and hours.
The horticultural information service is located in the Jardin botanique de Montréal reception centre and offers the following services free of charge:
- Identifying plants
- Identifying problems with cultivation, pests or disease
- Providing horticultural tips and information about specific plants
OPENING HOURS - 2024
|March 1 and 2||Friday and Saturday||9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.|
|March 29 and 30||Friday and Saturday||9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.|
|April 26 and 27||Friday and Saturday||9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.|
|May 24, 25 and 26||Friday, Saturday and Sunday||9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.|
|June 28 and 29||Friday and Saturday||9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.|
|July 26 and 27||Friday and Saturday||9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.|
|August 30 and 31||Friday and Saturday||9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.|
|September 27 and 28||Friday and Saturday||9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.|
|October 25 and 26||Friday and Saturday||9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.|
Help us help you better!
Planning to visit the horticultural information counter? If you need help identifying a plant or cultivation problem, follow the tips below.
Identification of a plant or a tree
Bring either the entire plant, some sections or representative pictures: stem with leaves, buds, flowers and/or fruits.
Observe and note:
- The plant measurements (height, width, form) and its habitat.
- The leaf arrangement on the stem (alternate, opposite, verticillate).
- The form, size, color of leaves, flowers and/or fruits.
Identification of a problem (on annuals, perennials, shrubs or trees)
Bring representative samples of the damaged plant: leaves, stems and/or fruits slightly, moderately, and highly infected. In the case of a tree, bring an infected branch of 30 cm or more.
Observe and note:
- The growing conditions: Light (sun, shade), soil type (clay, sand), drainage, habitat (forest, garden, plants growing nearby...)
- The symptoms: Insects, injuries, holes, spots, necrosis, outgrowths...
- Their location on the plant: On leaves, stems, trunk? Everywhere equally or only on an isolated section? Inferior, intermediate or superior branches?
- The progression of the symptoms: From top to bottom? From the center to the exterior?
- Date of appearance of the symptoms and the speed of their spread.
- Plant history: watering, fertilization, pesticides/chemicals applied directly on the plant or its surroundings, any unusual event that could have an impact on the plant (digging, construction, heavy machinery ...)
The service does not include:
- Lab analysis (soil, disease, etc.)
- Expertise for legal purposes
- Landscaping plans
- Monetary appraisals of plants
- Addresses or references for purchasing goods and services, including providers of horticultural goods and services
- Identification of plants for school or professional work
- Floral inventory of natural sites or an exhaustive inventory of a garden’s ornamental plants.
Please note: The Jardin botanique does not return items submitted with your questions.